A. Degree Programs
The following requirements must be presented:
a) Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) or its equivalent with at least five passes in subjects appropriate to chosen area of study,
including English Language, and Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) or its equivalent with at least two principal passes ( average C+ or 55% for students from countries with no ‘’A’’ level), or
b) Passing a Mature Age Entrance Examination or Aptitude test, OR
c) A Diploma in a relevant subject from a recognized institution at a 2nd class or higher level.
NOTE: For additional requirements for specific programs, please see Section D.
B. Diploma Programs
The following requirements must be presented;
a) Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) with five passes in subjects appropriate to chosen area of study, including a pass in English Language, or equivalent, and Uganda Advanced Certificate of Education (UACE) with at least one principal pass in a relevant subject or equivalent, (average C or 50% from countries with no ‘’A’’ level), OR
b) A certificate in a relevant subject from a recognized educational institution.
c) For a Diploma in Primary Education, one must have a Grade III Teacher’s (P1) certificate from a recognized institution.
C. Certificate Programs
An applicant must have an UCE certificate or its equivalent with at least five passes.
D. Requirements for Specific Programs.
For Degree in Education, one must have a principal pass in ‘’A’’ level examinations (or C+ or 55% for countries with no ‘’A’’ level) in each of the relevant teaching subjects.
2. School of Natural Sciences
i) One must have two principal passes (or C+ or 55%) in Science subjects (Biology, Chemistry, Geography,
Food and Nutrition, Agriculture, Physics and Mathematics), or ii) Have a diploma at 2nd class level in a relevant area.
3. School of Health Sciences
a) Degree Programs
i) One must have at least 5 passes at ‘’O’’ level including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English, and 2 principal passes in ‘’A’’ level (or C+ or 55% for countries with no ‘’A’’ level) including Biology and Chemistry.
ii) Diploma at credit or higher in a relevant field from a recognized institution with 2 year experience as a registered nurse.
iii) For countries where grades are in percentage the grade score should be 55% and above. b) Diploma Program
i) One must have at least 5 passes at ‘’O’’ level including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English, and a principal pass in Biology and a subsidiary pass in other relevant science subject at ‘’A’level (or ‘’C’’ plain or 50% in Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English and in any of the science subjects for countries with no ‘’A’’ level). Or a good certificate in Enrolled Nursing or Midwifery with relevant registration license.
ii) Those from countries where grading is in percentage should score at least 50% in relevant subjects and Must translate them to Ugandan system through UNEB.
c) Certificate Program
At least 5 passes at ‘’O’’ level including Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics and English.
Note: All international students Must translate their results to UNEB first.
Points to Note
1) Students from other countries may be admitted if they hold comparable certification.
2) Foreign students are expected to leave their countries only after receiving a letter of acceptance from the Registrar. All foreign students (except those from EAC member countries) should submit US$100 to the Dean of Students’ Office for the Student Pass before registration.
3) Holiday/In-service programme is for students who wish to upgrade to Diploma or Degree certification.
4) Please include the following when returning the form. Use the checklist below to crosscheck before posting your application.
a) Photocopies of Secondary School Certificate(s),NOT RESULT/GRADE SLIP
b) Other Certificates/Diplomas if applicable,
c) Two recent passport size photographs signed by one of the referees (attach one to the form),
d) A letter of recommendation from the conference or field where you reside (for Theology students).
e) A confirmation from the current or most recent employer (for In-service students).
f) An application Fee of Ush. 50,000/=.
We shall be waiting to hear from you.
Thank you for choosing Bugema University. This is a Christian faith-based Chartered Institution of higher learning that instils in its
students high moral and spiritual values. The University provides a conducive atmosphere for a well balanced education, Christian growth
and fellowship. Our motto is “Excellence in Service”.
All new students from Non-English speaking countries will be required to sit for an English Placement/Proficiency test and pass before
commencing their studies. This test will allow the University to advise the student accordingly. Students scoring below average in the
test will be required to register in an intensive English program to help them improve their communication skills.
APPLICATION FOR ADMISSION TO A POSTGRADUATE PROGRAMMME
General Entrance Requirements
PhD Entrance Requirements
1. Applicant must hold a relevant masters degree or equivalent
2. Two (2) years work experience
3. Submit a concept paper on the intended area of research
4. Must pass a PhD qualifying exam given by the university.
1. All applicants must hold a first degree or its equivalent with a cumulative grade point average of 2.8 or Second Class Lower and above.
2. Non-Ugandan applicants must have the equivalent of the above as awarded by their home universities. Do not convert to Bugema University
1. A student must have a First Degree or Advanced Diploma from a recognized institution.
3. Those from Non-English speaking countries will be required to prove that they have sufficient command of English to cope with graduate
studies; those scoring below average in the proficiency English that will be required to do an intensive English program to help them improve
on their communication. A non-refundable fee will be charged for the English proficiency test.
Points to Note
Please include the following when you return this form:-
a. Photocopy of secondary school certificates/diplomas where applicable
b. Original certified copies of academic transcript and certificate for the first degree
c. Two recent passport size photos
d. Non-refundable Application fee of 50,000/= and 120,000/=, for Masters and PhD, respectively.
1. Cases of impersonation, falsification of documents, or giving incomplete information whenever discovered either at registration or afterwards
will lead to automatic cancellation of admission
2. Copies (not originals) of the academic documents should be attached to the application form. The copies of the degree certificate(s) and
academic transcript(s) should be certified